9 years, 1 month ago

Apple asks to block court order to help decrypt iPhone

Apple fired back at the US government Thursday in the encryption standoff, asking a federal court to dismiss an order that would force the company to help unlock an iPhone. In the latest development in the case stemming from last year’s San Bernardino attacks, Apple said in a court filing that the government overstepped its legal authority in trying to force the company to facilitate access to the locked iPhone used by one of the shooters. Apple said it designed the security “so that when customers use an iPhone, they can feel confident that their most private personal information” and that any access provided to government would weaken that security. The government filing, in sharp contrast to that of Apple, said the order would not require a “back door to every iPhone.” The Justice Department said that Apple’s public statements suggest it is basing its defense on “marketing concerns” and that the company was not being asked to hand over any sensitive software that could be used by hackers.

Firstpost

Discover Related