Ex-Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre faces ‘re-run’ in race to be Ofcom chair
Sign up for the View from Westminster email for expert analysis straight to your inbox Get our free View from Westminster email Get our free View from Westminster email SIGN UP I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy policy The race to find the next Ofcom chair will be “re-run,” the government has revealed – with former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre said to be facing opposition from the online tech giants in his bid to land the job. Former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, who now leads Facebook’s international PR operation, previously compared the ex-Mail editor to the villain of the Star Wars saga, branding him “Darth Dacre”. open image in gallery Facebook’s PR chief Nick Clegg is critic of Paul Dacre A DCMS spokesman said: “In accordance with the governance code of public appointments, the culture secretary has taken the decision to re-run the competition for Ofcom chair. We have written to the Commissioner of Public Appointments to inform him of this.” A Facebook spokesman said: “Neither Nick Clegg nor anybody else at Facebook has spoken to the culture secretary about the Ofcom Chair appointment.




Discover Related

Senior Labour politician questions Elon Musk’s ‘reluctance’ to appear before MPs in parliament

Ex-insider spills dirt on Trump-related Washington Post turmoil

BBC director general Tim Davie set to be grilled by MPs over Gregg Wallace allegations

How Trump’s triumph will turbocharge America’s Left-leaning tech giants

Trump expected to shift course on antitrust, stop Google breakup

Silicon Valley Billionaires Know Exactly How They Want the Election to Go

GB News faces fine after Ofcom finds Rishi Sunak forum broke impartiality rules

Ofcom chair Michael Grade says TV has become ‘exploitative, patronising and cruel’

Deepfakes provide ‘perfect storm’ for hijackers in general election – Cleverly

Culture secretary accuses BBC of bias in awkward clash over Ofcom crackdown

BBC boss Tim Davie grilled by Tory MPs amid row over coverage of Israel-Hamas war

Ofcom launches investigation into Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg’s GB News show

Hancock broke rules on post-ministerial jobs by appearing on TV shows – Dowden

Rishi Sunak hires journalist Amber de Botton as communications director

BBC chief: Kuenssberg conducted herself in ‘exemplary fashion’ with Joe Lycett

Lewis Goodall leaves BBC’s Newsnight to join Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel

John Eastman wants to keep January 6 panel from seeing Trump’s handwritten notes

Jess Brammar: Journalist who faced attacks over Brexit tweets set for top BBC news role

Election of new chair portends change at US Postal Service
