2 years, 7 months ago

AP interview: Census director aims to restore trust in count

The next U.S. census isn’t until 2030, but already Census Bureau leaders are looking for ways to adapt to a roiled civic climate that only seems to be getting more contentious. Census Bureau Director Robert Santos said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press that the statistical agency is planning to start its outreach efforts with hard-to-reach communities earlier, rather than just before the count, and it may start door-knocking efforts sooner than in the past. Santos said these evaluations on the quality of the 2020 count can’t “uncover the ‘whys this happened’ — all we can do is estimate what happened.” Santos also addressed the backlash from some researchers over a new confidentiality method the Census Bureau implemented for the first time with the 2020 census data. Last week, demographers and other researchers began gathering signatures for a letter they plan to present to Santos asking that the Census Bureau abandon differential privacy for the 2030 census, as well as other Census Bureau data products like the American Community Survey. Santos said he wasn’t prepared at this point to say differential privacy will be used for the 2030 census since “there may be new revelations in terms of new techniques that are available.” He also said it may take longer than planned to decide how to implement differential privacy algorithms on American Community Survey data, a change that had been expected no earlier than 2025.

Associated Press

Discover Related