2 years, 1 month ago

Man who fatally shot 3 Texas teens in 1998 faces execution

Get Nadine White's Race Report newsletter for a fresh perspective on the week's news Get our free newsletter from The Independent's Race Correspondent Get our free newsletter from The Independent's Race Correspondent SIGN UP I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. It had been unclear whether John Balentine’s execution, scheduled for Wednesday evening at the state penitentiary in Huntsville, Texas, would go forward after a judge withdrew Balentine's execution date and warrant last week. Shawn Nolan, one of Balentine’s attorneys, said the reinstatement “will surely violate due process,” and he planned to file various appeals, including with the U.S. Supreme Court. Part of their petition included a statement from Lola Perkins, who had been married to England’s brother and who said England “was racist against Black people because that is how he was raised.” In a declaration he gave before his death in 2021, England said he pushed for a death sentence because he worried if Balentine was ever released, he “would need to hunt him down.” England also said when another juror “started going off about this Black guy killing these white teenagers. Balentine’s attorneys also allege his trial lawyers referred to the sentencing proceedings in a note as a “justifiable lynching.” Randall Sherrod, one of Balentine’s trial attorneys, said Wednesday he could not remember the note but denied that he or the other attorney, James Durham Jr., had any racist attitudes toward Balentine.

The Independent

Discover Related